A Secret History
Much of the Rise cosmology is set in secret history. While most of these realizations are left open to the GM to utilize or ignore, a few are embedded in the core of the world’s history, and are an integral setting detail.
Some of these “obscured” facts are as such:
- Obviously, the most crucial one is the trope-licious given that all myths are true- although many are not as literal as one would believe. Noah built an ark, Lilith dumped Adam (but he’ll always claim he ended it first), Jesus did walk the Earth, Meganada totally snacked on Indra, Zeus turned Io into a cow, and Mothman did indeed stir up some trouble in Point Pleasant, West Virginia one November evening in 1966. However, even though these realities occurred in some form, many of them have been warped over time. In some way or another, all supernatural events can be tied in some way back to activities performed by one of four groups of entities- followers of Heaven, minions of Hell, earthbound spirits of the dead, or the Old Ones who were born from the world of Chaos before the world was formed. Many of these participants have guided history in some fashion or another.
- Much of the Gnostic sect of Christianity is correct when it comes to the closest estimable accounts of spiritual reality.
- Most major world disasters are a result of spikes of Dark Will, typically generated by malicious breakers or denizens of Hell. For example, much of the Holocaust was orchestrated by Amon as a means of provoking God in a grand game of chicken. Other international disasters may not have been so carefully orchestrated, and some are born from evils of a genuine human origin. However, most major notable events had a behind the scenes struggle involving the world of the spirits, which led to side effects that caused the Will to respond with major disasters.
- The rise of Christianity as a religion is primarily due to the machinations of key Regents, such as Solomon, who felt a unified religion oriented towards one of the facets of God would in please him enough to entice his return to Creation.
- World War II was a time of intense spiritual distress, and as such it created such a potent threat to the integrity of Creation that the Will actively created several alternate timelines as a means of providing a serviceable “backup” reality in the shadow of the current reality’s doom. However, adequate intervention on the part of several earthbound spirits and Heaven (including several branches of COGITO ) managed to control the endemic, causing there to be a slew of alternative realities that were entirely superfluous. This generated an even larger backlash of Dark Will in these alternate realities, causing several to collapse and spawn a slew of tertiary divine beings. One of these beings is the Devourer, a feral force of nihilistic hunger that actively consumes all Creations lacking sufficient divine support. Another was the Aeon Horus, a being who made contact via being Aiwass (who in reality was merely an alter-ego of Baal) with the British occultist Aleister Crowley and led to the creation of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.
- Early after the death of Jesus Christ, in an attempt to purify the spiritual state of Creation, Solomon led a crusade against the spirits residing on Earth, exorcising many of the lurking souls that remained there. Many of the Old Ones that held dominion on Earth were driven into the shadows of Kadmon or erased from existence altogether, and a vast majority of the earthbound souls were forced to choose between being cast into Hell or becoming, in effect, the slaves of Heaven. This explains why there are so few old ghosts on Earth.